This year’s theme was “It’s a health issue, not a crime”, and featured a presentation from drug counselor Roger Brooking (watch it on vimeo here).
AGM of NORML New Zealand Inc.
Held at Tapu Te Ranga marae, Island Bay, Wellington, on Sat 11 Feb 2012, 4pm – 6pm.
President’s report from Phil Saxby accepted.
Treasurer’s report from Chris Fowlie accepted.
No special resolutions passed.
Election of officers:
The following were declared duly elected to the Board of Directors of NORML New Zealand Inc.
- President – Julian Crawford (Auckland)
- Vice President – Abe Gray (Dunedin)
- Secretary – Phil Saxby (Wellington)
- Treasurer – Chris Fowlie (Auckland)
- Parliamentary Officer – Geoff Clarke (Wellington)
- Web Editor – Will de Cleene (Wellington)
- Direct Action Coordinator – Dakta Green (Mt Eden Prison)
- Auckland Coordinator – Sean Morris (Auckland)
- Medical Coordinator – Billy McKee (Levin)
Programme for the day:
10:00 Conference and AGM opens with welcome and introductions.
Apologies and messages from supporters.
10:15 President’s report to AGM. AGM adjourned until 4 pm
11:00 Roger Brooking, drug treatment counsellor and author of FLYING BLIND, will speak on his experience with the Court and Corrections system. Dr. Brooking’s book has been commended by the Chief Justice and made recommended reading for criminology students at Otago University.
Question time will follow his address.
12:00 10 minute break
12:10 Activism – the past year. Presentation from NORML Board on activism in 2011, including the experience of the Daktory. Dakta Green’s trial, Court protests, bus tours to support activists in places like Timaru, Rotorua and Levin; White Flag meetings at Parliament, petitions and letters, election activities and media work including activism at the Backbenchers show.
Invitation for activists to present 2011 methods, events, and experiences from their region.
14:00 Activism – what works what doesn’t? Evaluation of the law reform efforts and campaigns of the past year, in order to determine the direction and nature of future activism campaigns and actions for 2012.
15:00 MODA review and synthetic cannabis reclassifications – possible legislative outcomes
– speaker Chris Fowlie
15:30 Speaker from Keep MMP campaign on how to run a successful public campaign. Questions.
16:00 AGM resumes:
Minutes of previous AGM
Constitutional review* – discussion followed by election of working party to take action agreed at the AGM?
Election of new NORML Board, until a new structure (if any) comes into effect.
* Reform of NORML’s constitution & structure: NORML New Zealand Inc. has an onerous structure and requirements more fitting of a large organisation. Minuted regional meetings, membership database maintenance and other minutiae take up the limited time of volunteers instead of activism and campaigning. Furthermore, regular membership has been usurped by more modern casual methods of public support, such as Facebook Groups or email lists. A trust type structure might be more suitable than incorporation. We will produce a discussion document outlining the options and are seeking feedback from members and supporters on this matter.
Registration is essential. To register email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 09 302 5255.
The conference fee is $20 per person if pre-paid or $30 if paid on the day. Payments can be made by post (NORML NZ, PO Box 3307, Auckland), to our bank account: ASB 12-3057-0594667-00 (enter your name and ‘AGM’ in the deposit transaction details), or on the day. Please note: registrations paid on the day will be $30!
The conference fee includes lunch and morning tea. Marae accommodation is available for both 10th and 11th Feb for $20 per night (bring own bedding). Please bring your own food for breakfast and dinner if you are staying the night. Please also indicate if you are vegan/vegetarian or have any food allergies.
Tapu Te Ranga Marae, Rhine Street, Island Bay, Wellington [map]