- 2017 Campaigns and Projects
- 2014-15 Strategy Document
- 2013-14 Strategy Document
- NZ Cannabis Law Reform Milestones
Medicinal cannabis law reform: Govt bill expected soon, reports suggest ‘good news and bad news‘, but what would Helen Kelly do? Check out NORML’s 4-point model for patient-focused policy.
Stop the arrests! After 90 years of prohibition, we’re calling for a Cannabis Armistice.
Green MP Julie Anne Genter’s Medicinal cannabis private member’s bill will soon be debated in Parliament, and is now in the name of fellow MP Chlöe Swarbrick.
Whatever you think about cannabis, we can all agree there are “Too many smokers to arrest!”
We believe a broad, non-partisan campaign is needed. The main political parties fear the accusation of encouraging young people to use drugs merely by talking about law reform. In this situation, a broad non-partisan campaign to put drug law reform on the political agenda is necessary. NORML NZ is the only existing organisation able and willing to lead this cross-party campaign.
Public support for reform.
Opinion polls on drug law reform, usually focused on cannabis, invariably show strong support for law reform. Around 65% of the NZ public supports the medicinal use of cannabis and this issue has become the spearhead for law reform in many countries, including the United States. The previous peak of support for cannabis law reform came in 2000, when a scientific survey by UMR Insight found 19% support for full legalisation and 41% for decriminalisation: a clear majority of 60% for reform (750 respondents aged 18 or more).
Mobilise our support.
We want to mobilise not just the 400,000-plus adult Kiwis who used illegal drugs in the past 12 months; we also need to mobilise the parents and grandparents who don’t want their kids and grandchildren criminalised by our drug laws.
Join us in this campaign for sensible drug law reform.
We are 400,000 strong and we will change the law! Here is how you can help:
- Don’t act alone. Form a local NORML support group – unity is strength. Facebook it.
- Decide who will “go public”. Support those who do (donate/grow some stuff for them!)
- Find out about the Law Commission review of the Misuse of Drugs Act.
- Ask your MP for help to end the “War on Drugs” declared by President Nixon in 1971! Don’t send an email. If you want to be taken seriously, send a proper letter or visit in person.
- Get ready for NORML’s election campaign, “Too Many Smokers to Arrest“. Unite to make the politicians listen to us!
- Cannabis – safe, legal, medicine
- A Regulated, Adults-Only, Taxable Market
- It’s a Health Issue, Not a Crime!
- Everyone can do something – write a letter, post hot news on your Facebook page, give NORML a donation: 12 3057 0594667-00, or Cannabus account 12 3057 0594667-03; sell NORML raffle tickets, hand out leaflets, put up signs, help with stalls, vigils, Court support or protests. Sign up at J Day!
- We are NORML people. We show courtesy, integrity, perseverance and self control towards all. Contact us at www.norml.org.nz or www.facebook.com/normlnz.
Freedom is NORML!